Eggs are a very good source of inexpensive, high quality protein. More than half the protein of an egg is found in the egg white along with vitamin B2 and lower amounts of fat and cholesterol than the yolk. The whites are rich sources of selenium, vitamin D, B6, B12 and minerals such as zinc, iron and copper. Here’s an excellent recipe for Mediterranean Eggs!
Ingredients for Mediterranean Eggs
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1/3 cup Julienne cut sun dried tomatoes, firmly packed
- 1 Parsley
- 6 Eggs, large
Baking & Spices
- 1 Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, Coarse
Oils & Vinegars
- 1 tbsp Olive oil, extra virgin
Bread & Baked Goods
- 1 Ciabatta rolls
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 3 oz Feta cheese
- 4 5 small or 1½ large yellow onions, halved and sliced
- In a large cast iron or stainless steel skillet, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Once the butter is melted add the onions to the pan and stir gently to coat in the butter and oil, arranging them in an even layer. Reduce the heat so the onions just barely sizzle. Allow the onions to cook, stirring every 5 to 10 minutes, until they are soft and a deep brown color, about one hour.
- Add garlic and sun dried tomatoes and cook, stirring, for about 1-3 minutes or until fragrant. Arrange the mixture in an even layer in the pan, then carefully crack eggs over the top. Sprinkle with crumbled feta, salt, and pepper. Cover with a tight fitting lid and allow to cook undisturbed for 10-15 minutes. Watch the eggs carefully in the last few minutes as the yolks change quickly. You can check yolk doneness by jiggling the pan. Runny yolks will jiggle slightly while firm yolks shouldn’t move at all.
- Remove pan from the heat and sprinkle with chopped parsley if desired.
Would you like a Diet Plan that might contain this and may more cool recipes?